Kids & Pets
Kids & Pets
How important are pets in our childhood years?
Children raised with pets show many benefits. Developing positive feelings about pets can contribute to a child’s self-esteem and self-confidence. Positive relationships with pets can aid in the development of trusting relationships with others. A good relationship with a pet can also help in developing non-verbal communication, compassion, and empathy. Pets can serve different purposes for children at many stages in their life.
• They can be safe recipients of secrets and private thoughts–children often talk to their pets, like they do to their stuffed animals.
• They provide lessons about life, including the circle of life, illnesses, accidents, and bereavement.
• They can help develop responsible behavior in the children who care for them.
• They provide a connection to human nature, teach empathy & compassion.
• They can teach respect for other living beings.
Other physical and emotional needs fulfilled by pet ownership include:
• Physical activity and motivation
• It reduces loneliness
• Comfort contact such as snuggling
• Love, loyalty, and affection
• Love through laughter
• Lower stress levels
In today’s crazier than ever world where children can have multiple homes, multiple people in charge of them, peer pressure we cannot fathom, masked people, walking around everywhere, and videos games leading their little minds to believe it’s okay to shoot up the town, kids need an ultimate source of comfort. Something that does not change because of the world around us.
Something that stays pure and true to them. A best friend that never judges, lies, or yells, only loves them.
Childhood pets can be perceived to be nonjudgmental, confidential, and accepting sources of support. In addition, pets can be perceived as presenting their feelings authentically in the moment and being more forgiving than humans.
For example, one study found that the mere presence of a family pet during childhood can increase emotional expression and control in children, and research supports that even brief interactions with pets can lower stress levels in children.
If you are looking for a cattery that specializes in family companions, one that understands the importance of pets to our children and the profound impact they have, you have found the perfect cattery. We carefully review your kitten application and make personal suggestions on which kitten we may feel best suits your home environment.
However, all of our kittens are highly social and love children.
Give your child the gift of unconditional love, responsibility, & empathy.